“Whatever race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, or disability, there is a place at CDS for everyone.”
–Richard Bonneau, Director of CDS
The Center for Data Science (CDS) has set out to build a culture that embraces inclusion and diversity. These ideals are indispensable for advancing innovation and knowledge within the fields of technology, engineering, mathematics, and sciences. The Diversity Initiative was established to help address the lack of diverse backgrounds and underrepresented groups in Data Science. Through this initiative, our objective to increase diversity in data science will be accomplished through the following: providing scholarships and financial support to students, funding research projects, providing travel funds to disseminate research at conferences and seminars, and hosting seminars to bring data scientists to CDS.
The inclusion of students with differing backgrounds leads to a higher quality of debate and ideas that may not have been reached otherwise. Through the Diversity Initiative, you can help make the Center for Data Science and the data scientists we educate more excellent.
We would like to invite you to help us achieve our goal of creating an inclusive and diverse student population. In addition to the benefits that our Partners Program members receive (listed below), our Diversity Partners will also have their logo placed prominently on this page and opportunities to collaborate with our social media team for potential student profiles (though regulations require students to provide permission). Please reach out to Andres Borray at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Recruitment, Community Events, and Research
- Facilitation by CDS staff to identify and recruit highly-qualified students for internships and permanent positions that fulfill Partners’ needs. An annual Open House/ Recruitment Day (typically in late October) in which NYU CDS facilities are provided for interviewing CDS students. Up to four (4) representatives from each Partner organization can attend free of charge.
- Partners will receive priority to reserve on a first come, first serve basis over external organizations that have not joined the Partners Program, access to recruitment events, information sessions, and open house days.
- Internships with Partners will receive priority and CDS staff will help market these opportunities to our students.
- Up to two (2) Partner representatives will be invited to seminars, conferences, bag lunches, and retreats that are hosted by the CDS. Partners will have custom hosted visits to the Center for Data Science for discussion of research topics and hosted speaker series along with networking events with our world-class researchers. Visits to CDS by Partner employees are welcome on a noninterference basis. Visits of more than one day and participation in CDS activities must be arranged in advance, and are subject to standard University Visiting Scientist/Engineer agreements concerning confidentiality, intellectual property and protection of NYU in the event of damage or injury.
- Prior to each Fall Semester, Partners will be invited to propose projects for the Capstone Course. Projects submitted by Partners will be offered to students for selection prior to those from organizations that have not joined the Partners Program. Up to two (2) representatives from each Partner organization will be invited to attend a poster session at the end of the semester. Please follow this link to see the project proposal template.
- Subject to University policies and procedures, representatives from Partner companies may conduct guest lectures for the Capstone course at the discretion of the CDS faculty teaching the course.
Annual Industrial Partners Meeting
- Once per year, we will hold an All Hands Partners Program meeting. During this meeting, you will have the opportunity to: provide feedback on the CDS curriculum (e.g. is this curriculum responsive to industry needs), discuss the Partners program and related recruitment and career placement activities, and interact with fellow Partners Program members and member institutions.
Diversity Initiative Partners