Data Science is revolutionizing the way organizations run their businesses, and more generally, the nature of inquiry across business and society. The speed and scale at which data is being created is staggering, requiring the capability to properly interpret and analyze large datasets. The Center for Data Science is a focal point for New York University’s university-wide initiative in data science and statistics. The Center was established to advance NYU’s goal of creating the country’s leading data science training and research facilities, and arming researchers and professionals with tools to harness the power of big data.
The center draws faculty from across disciplines and across the university. Indeed, in some fields, such researchers may find that their work fits more naturally at the Center for Data Science than their original reference discipline. The Center’s faculty members and scientists have established experts in the field of data science from across the university. Their research interests include mathematical statistics, computational statistics and machine learning, optimization and large-scale computation, system design for large-scale data science, data visualization and several application areas, such as computational biology, computational economics, or quantitative methods in social science.
Because of the interdisciplinary nature of data science and the centrality of real-world data in research, the Center will collaborate with a limited number of partners. If you are interested in joining the Center for Data Science Partners Program, please contact email@example.com for more details. We look forward to collaborating with you!
Recruitment, Community Events, and Research
- Facilitation by CDS staff to identify and recruit highly-qualified students for internships and permanent positions that fulfill Partners’ needs. An annual Open House/ Recruitment Day (typically in late October) in which NYU CDS facilities are provided for interviewing CDS students. Up to four (4) representatives from each Partner organization can attend free of charge.
- Internships with Partners will receive priority and CDS staff will help market these opportunities to our students.
- Up to two (2) Partner representatives will be invited to seminars, conferences, bag lunches, and retreats that are hosted by the CDS. Partners will have custom hosted visits to the Center for Data Science for discussion of research topics and hosted speaker series along with networking events with our world-class researchers. Visits to CDS by Partner employees are welcome on a noninterference basis. Visits of more than one day and participation in CDS activities must be arranged in advance, and are subject to standard University Visiting Scientist/Engineer agreements concerning confidentiality, intellectual property and protection of NYU in the event of damage or injury.
- Prior to each Fall Semester, Partners will be invited to propose projects for the Capstone Course. Projects submitted by Partners will be offered to students for selection prior to those from organizations that have not joined the Partners Program. Up to two (2) representatives from each Partner organization will be invited to attend a poster session at the end of the semester.
- Subject to University policies and procedures, representatives from Partner companies may conduct guest lectures for the Capstone course at the discretion of the CDS faculty teaching the course.Please follow this link to see the project proposal template.
Advisory Committee Meeting
- Once per year, we will hold a Partners Program all hands advisory committee meeting. During this meeting, you will have the opportunity to: provide feedback on the CDS curriculum (e.g. is this curriculum responsive to industry needs), discuss the Partners program and related recruitment and career placement activities, and interact with fellow Partners program members and member institution.
- Partners will receive priority to reserve on a first come, first serve basis over external organizations that have not joined the Partners Program, access to recruitment events, information sessions, and open house days.