The Data Science & Software Services (DS3) creates a central service for faculty and research staff to access expertise in data science and statistical methodology as well as software engineering aligned with research goals. DS3 aims to enhance the research capacity of NYU by providing highly skilled labor for funded projects and increasing the competitiveness of grant proposals.
DS3 is a joint undertaking of the Center for Data Science Moore-Sloan Data Science Environments (MSDSE) project, the NYU Libraries, NYU IT Research Technology, and the PRIISM Center, with connections to affiliated services such as Data Services, High Performance Computing (HPC), NYU IT Teaching and Learning with Technology (TLT), and more.
Spring 2021 Portfolio:
- “Optimizing the measurement of treatment outcomes in speech sound disorders” (PI: Tara McAllister; Communicative Sciences and Disorders)
- “Predicting Treatment Response in Rheumatoid Arthritis” (PI: Timothy Niewold; NYU Langone, Colton Center for Autoimmunity)
- “Brain substrates linking gastrointestinal symptoms and anxiety disorders” (PI: Javiera Oyarzun; Center for Neuroscience)
- “Towards learning to represent everyday tasks” (PI: Angela Radulescu; Center for Data Science)
- “Metrics of Racial Inequality” (PI: Marjorie Rhodes w/ Michael Rizzo; Psychology)
- “Steam Power in US Manufacturing” (PI: Martin Rotemberg; Economics)
- “Investigating Police Misconduct via Machine Learning of Textual Data” (PI: George Wood; Center for Data Science)
Summer 2020 + Fall 2020 Portfolio:
- “Sparse big data spectromicroscopy on quantum materials” (PI: Andrew Wray; Physics)
- “Symbolic Politics for Peace” (PI: Elisabeth King; ASH Steinhardt)
- “Raising the Volume: Amplifying the Soul of Reason” (PI: Alexandra Provo; NYU Libraries)
- “3D Visualization & Analysis for COVID-19 Surface Vector Transmission” (PI: Debra Laefer; Civil Engineering)
- “Developing automated neural data analysis tools for neuro-typical and atypical populations” (PI: Alec Marantz; Linguistics, Psychology)
- “Ongoing development of ‘jiant’ toolkit for natural language understanding” (PI: Sam Bowman; Data Science, Linguistics)
- “Understanding Cosmic Rays via Machine Learning” (PI: Glennys Farrar; Physics)
- “Rebuilding the Nurses Improving Care for Healthsystems Elders (NICHE)” (PI: Mattia Gilmartin; NYU Meyers College of Nursing)
Spring 2020 Portfolio:
- “Machine Learning and Remote Sensing Data” (PI: Debra Laefer; Civil Engineering)
- “Indigenous Data Sovereignty: Developing the Indigenous Data Detection Algorithm” (PI: Jane Anderson; Anthropology & Museum Studies)
- “Using Big Data to Address Our National Reading Crisis” (PI: Angela Hawken; Urban Management)
- “A Comparison of Student Achievement: NYC Charter v General Ed” (PI: Ying Lu; Applied Statistics)
- “Hunting adverse effects of drugs via machine learning” (PI: Yang Feng; Biostatistics)
- “Can perceptual training help foundational reading skills?” (PI: Susannah Levi; Communicative Sciences & Disorders)
- “The predictive value of eye gaze in understanding bias in legal decision-making” (PI: Emily Balcetis; Psychology)
- “A Map of Jargon Across Domains” (PI: Kyle Cranmer; Physics & Data Science)
- “Microbial colony recognition from microscopy images: online app” (PI: Mark Siegal & Eugene Plavskin; Biology)
- “Performance Prediction” (PI: Mohamed Zahran; Computer Science)
- “Sparse big data spectromicroscopy on quantum materials” (PI: L. Andrew Wray; Physics)
- + Jupyter Accessibility Project with NYU Libraries
- + DS3 Workbench
- + DS3 Consultancy Survey
Request a consultation about your project!
This pilot service is aimed at full-time faculty and research staff. Preference is given to grant funded projects, with secondary preference to pre-award projects, as well as some discretionary help, so ask us. Students are not currently able to request services.
We accept project proposals on a rolling basis. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to get started.
How can we help you?
DS3 offers service in the following areas:
- Research methodologies in Data Science and Statistics
- Scoping development activities
- Experimental and research design
- Software development for research
- Data analytics for all data types and sizes
Don’t see what you need here? Check out the FAQ for more in-depth information [coming soon!].
Work with us
We are looking to recruit and hire several Junior Data Scientists who will work on targeted data science projects. These graduate students will be mentored by MSDSE researcher scientists or research software engineers. DS3 Junior Data Scientists will gain indispensable, firsthand experience in creating statistical and software solutions to address important research questions. For more information and to apply, email us at email@example.com.
NYU Libraries (Head, Specialized Research Services)
NYU Center for Data Science & Department of Physics (Professor / PI & Executive Director for MSDSE)
Director, Research Technology Services Research Technology, NYU IT
NYU PRIISM & Department of Applied Statistics, Social Science, and Humanities (Assistant Professor)
NYU PRIISM & Department of Applied Statistics, Social Science, and Humanities (Professor)
Research Cloud Technical Lead Research Technology Services
Emily Mathis Corona
NYU Center for Data Science (Head of Communications / Program Manager for MSDSE)
NYU Libraries (Manager, Data Services)