The Capstone Project offers the opportunity for organizations to propose a project that our graduate students will work on as part of their curriculum for one semester. Below you will find information on the course along with a questionnaire to propose a project. If you prefer to answer via a word document, please download the document here: CDS-Capstone-Project-Proposal, include your answers within the document and send as an attachment to Loraine Nascimento at email@example.com.
Featured Capstone Projects
- Deep Learning for Breast Cancer Detection
- Brain Segmentation Using Deep Learning
- Predict Total Knee Replacement using MRI with Supervised and Semi-Supervised Networks
- Active Physical Inference via Reinforcement Learning
- Deep Multi-Modal Content-User Embeddings for Music Recommendation
- Fluorescent Microscopy Image Restoration
- Learning Visual Embeddings for Reinforcement Learning
- Offensive Speech Detection on Twitter
- Predicting Movement Primitives in Stroke Patients using IMU Sensors
- Recurrent Policy Gradients For Smooth Continuous Control
- The Quality-Quantity Tradeoff in Deep Learning
- Trend Modeling in Childhood Obesity Prediction
- Twitter Food/Activity Monitor
CDS Project Proposal Template
Students, fellows and research engineers at NYU CDS are actively engaged in research. At any given time, a large number of highly skilled data scientists-in-training are looking for new research opportunities and external projects. In particular, all master’s students (and many CDS faculty) participate in the Master’s Capstone at CDS, carried out in the final year of the NYU CDS Masters in Data Science program. These projects involve groups of roughly 2-4 students working in partnership with outside organizations that have provided real problems that can be solved via applications of data science. The outcome is a win-win: the students get the opportunity to work in their field of interest and gain exposure, while the partners receive the benefit of having a new perspective applied to their projects.
The NYU CDS community includes individuals from many different industries and disciplines; therefore, we will be searching for a number of data science projects/problems that our students can tackle. We hope to gather a diverse set of problems that address the different subject matter and technical requirements. We ask that all academic and industry partners help us to specify projects using the template below. Responses to each of the questions will allow us to identify the right people within the CDS student and faculty community to carry out, mentor, and evaluate each project and tackle your problems. Answers to each point below are required but can be very brief; a few sentence answers to each point below are all that is required in most cases.
CDS our students are trained to apply data science to the following fields. It may help you identify projects or solutions to problems you are seeking to address:
- Probability and statistical analyses.
- Natural language processing.
- Big Data analysis and modeling.
- Machine learning and computational statistics.
- Coding and software engineering.
- Visualization modeling.
- Neural networks.
- Signal processing.
- High dimensional statistics.
Please fill out this word document: CDS-Capstone-Project-Proposal and send to Loraine Nascimento at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are no longer accepting submissions for Fall 2019, but if you are interested in submitting a project for the Fall 2020 Capstone, please contact Loraine Nascimento to be added to the mailing list. We will send a call for projects in the early summer. The deadline will be July 31, 2020.