In these difficult times CDS is committed to continued excellence in instruction. For Fall 2020, CDS is pursuing a “hybrid” model of in-person and remote teaching for all of its offerings. Students will have an opportunity to come to campus and sit-in on lectures and sections if they choose to do so. They may also be 100% remote if they prefer, without any loss of content or mentoring. Ample time will be given to interact with professors and teaching assistants, both in person or remote. Our instructors will use innovative teaching technologies and pedagogical techniques—including “flipped” classrooms and live-streamed content—to ensure students have the best possible educational experience during their undergraduate, masters and PhD courses.
Below are our current course offerings for the Fall 2020 semester. For up-to-date information, please visit the Albert Course Search page.
Each course section is designated with one of the instruction modes below. However, regardless of the instruction mode, students will have an option to attend remotely for all of their courses.
- Remote/Online: Students will not come to campus to receive instruction. All course materials will be provided on-line.
- Blended: This is the most common mode in fall. This means that some students will come, sometimes, on a rotating basis, to be on campus to receive instruction. There will also be some students who attend the section remotely. Exactly how often the students come to campus to take lectures or section in person will depend on several factors, including: number of students, room capacity, instructional staff.
- In-person: Sections will take place “as usual.”
Fall 2020 Lab Sections Offered at NYU Shanghai
In light of the US travel and visa restrictions due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Center for Data Science expects to offer an in-person lab section for the courses below at the NYU Shanghai campus.
- DS-GA 1001 Introduction to Data Science
- DS-GA 1002 Probability and Statistics for Data Science